The Office of Orientation and First Year Experience facilitates the transition of new students and their families through comprehensive and progressive programs resulting from best practices in the field, partnerships with academic and student affairs, and collaboration with the other departments within Cal State San Bernardino and surrounding community.
Orientation and First Year Experience Office at Cal State San Bernardino is committed to providing programs and services that will aid and facilitate the transition of our new students and their family members into CSUSB. At every event we strive to make new students and their family members feel welcomed and appreciated, while promoting and exposing new students to the array of intellectual, cultural and social opportunities offered to them at Cal State San Bernardino.
- Facilitate initial academic advising, course selection and registration while providing comprehensive information about academic requirements and expectations.
- Prepare parents and guests of students for the personal and academic development changes that will take place during their transition to college.
- Provide opportunities for students to connect within the campus community.
- Create an atmosphere that values the unique individuality of our students.
- Introduce students to the campus environment, facilities, and resources that will support their educational goals and enhance overall student experience.
- Provide structured opportunities for new students and their families to meet and develop relationships with faculty, staff, continuing students and other new students.
- Provide on-going program evaluation in order to adapt the program to meet the needs of entering new students.
- Students will understand the basic value of Higher Education and how learning is acquired inside and outside the classroom and through High Impact Practices.
- Student will understand the basic academic expectations and advising process, course selection and registration at CSUSB.
- Students will be able to identify the general education and core curriculum requirements for their major.
- Students will be able to locate the academic advising office.
- Students will understand the registration process at CSUSB, including the ability to understand their PAWs report, build a class schedule, and successfully add and drop classes on their own.
- Students will understand the financial resources and processes (Financial Aid, Billing) at CSUSB.
- Students will be able to identify 3 involvement opportunities at CSUSB.
- Students will feel welcome at CSUSB.
- Students will make at least 1 social connection during the SOAR program.
- Students will identify their orientation leader as a campus resource.
- Students will become more familiar with the CSUSB campus and the surrounding community.
- Students will receive sufficient information about the availability of services and programs at CSUSB.